October 22, 2012

Pumpkin Soup



As much as I love all things fall, I've never been a huge soup person.  However, I once had a pumpkin soup that was so creamy and decadent it tasted like molten pumpkin pie, and this weekend I had the ambition to attempt my own version.  I loosely followed this recipe, but modified and added in a few ingredients.  It turned out SO good - creamy, slightly sweet, and savory - it was once of my favorite dishes I've made as of late.

:: Creamy Pumpkin Soup ::

1/4 butter
1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
1 clove finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (15 oz) can Libby's Pure Pumpkin 
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup heavy cream

Melt the butter in a 3 quart size saucepan, add in onion, garlic, and brown sugar and saute for 2 minutes.  Add in chicken broth, water, salt, and pepper, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer on low for 10 minutes.  Add in pumpkin, evaporated milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cream, and cook on medium for 5 minutes.  Transfer soup (you'll probably have to do it in batches) to a food processor and pulse a few times to combine evenly.  Transfer all the soup back to your saucepan, and cook for 5 more minutes.  Finish with a dollop of creme fresh, some chopped fresh sage, and a few chopped hazelnuts.

Perfect Sunday night of fall cooking



No comments:

Post a Comment